To ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers, the new 838 area code will be added to the area served by 518. This is known as an area code overlay.
What is an area code overlay?
An overlay is the addition of another area code (838) to the same geographic region as an existing area code (518).
An overlay does not require customers to change their existing area code.
Who will be affected?
The 518 area code covers all or part of 17 counties in eastern upstate New York, serving communities in the Capital region of Albany and its surrounding suburbs, such as Plattsburgh and Lake Placid. The new 838 area code will serve the same geographic area currently served by the existing 518 area code.
When will the change begin?
Beginning September 19, 2017, new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers using the new 838 area code. All calls made within and between area codes 518 and 838 must be placed using the 10-digit telephone number (518 or 838 plus the 7-digit telephone number).
What will you need to do?
You will not need to change your dialing procedures in any way. The new overlay will simply add a new area code to which new telephone lines or services may be assigned.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all calls to other area codes (outside of 518 and 838).
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community you will still dial these codes with just three digits.
Who may you contact with questions?If you have any questions regarding information provided in this notice,please pose them here on this thread or contact customer care at https://success.ringcentral.com/RCContactSupp for more information. You can also visit the New York Public Service Commissions website at http://www.dps.ny.gov/ for further information.